形容詞子句

形容詞子句
( 關係子句 )

( A) 作主詞用的代名詞 : WHO , WHICH , THAT
I thanked the woman. She helped me.

→ I thanked the woman who helped me.
( I thanked the woman that helped me)

The book is mine. It is on the table.
→ The book which is on the table is mine.
(The book that is on the table is mine.)

練習

1. I saw the man. He closed the door.


2. The girl is happy. She won the race.


3. The student is from China. He sits next to me.


4. We are studying sentences. They contains adjective clauses.



(B) 作受詞用的代名詞 : WHO(M) ,WHICH, THAT

The man was Mr. Jones.
I saw him.

→ The man who(m) I saw was Mr. Jones.
(The man that I saw was Mr. Jones)
( The man I saw was Mr. Jones. 受詞子句的代名詞可以省略)

The movie wasn’t very good.
We saw it last night.

→ The movie which we saw last night wasn’t very good.
(The movie that we saw last night wasn’t very good.)
(The movie we saw last night wasn’t very good. 受詞子句的代名詞可省略)


練習

The book was good. I read it.


I liked the woman. I met her at the supermarket yesterday.


The people were very nice. We visited them last week.



I liked the essay. You wrote it.



*** 代名詞當 介詞 得受詞時, 只能用 whom 或 which, 不可直接使用
who 跟 that. ***

例如:
She is the woman. I told you about her.
→ She is the woman about whom I told you. ( 這是 極為 正式 的英文)

日常用語, 常會把 介詞在在 主詞及 動詞後面, 不放在 代名詞前面,
這樣 就會使用 who, that 或省略 代名詞.

She is the woman who I told you about.
She is the woman that I told you about
She is the woman I told you about.

C) 所有格代名詞 WHOSE, 不能省略

I know the man. His bicycle was stolen.
→ I know the man whose bicycle was stolen.

The student writes well. I read her novel.
→The student whose novel I read writes well.

練習

I apologized to the woman. I spilled her coffee.


The man called the police. His wallet was stolen.


The man poured a glass of water on his face. His beard caught on fire when
he lit a cigarette.



D) Where 引導的形容詞 子句
The building is very old. He lives there ( in the building).
→ The building where he lives is very old.
** 若不用 where 引導, 可用下 列方式

1. The building in which he lives is very old.
2. The building which he lives in is very old.
3. The building that he lives in is very old.
4. The building he lives in is very old.

練習

The city was beautiful. We spent our vacation there ( in the city)


3
That is the restaurant. I will meet you there ( at the restaurant)


That is the drawer. I keep my jewelry there. ( In that drawer)


E) When 引導的形容詞子句

I will never forget the day. I met you then ( on that day.)
→ I will never forget the day when I met you then.

*** 若沒以 when 引導, 可改成 :
1. I’ll never forget the day on which I met you.
2. I’ll never forget the day that I met you.
3. I’ll never forget the day I met you.

練習

Monday is the day. We will come then ( on that day)


7:05 is the time. My plane arrives then ( at that time)


1960 is the year. The resolution took place then ( in that year)



F) 用形容詞子句修飾代名詞
形容詞子句可修飾歐不定代名詞 ( 如: someone, everybody), 受格關
系代名詞( 如 whom, which) 在形容詞子句中常常省略.

a) There is someone ( whom) I want you to meet.
b) Everything he said was pure sonsense.
c) Anybody who wants to come is welcome.

形容詞子句可修飾 the one ( s), 及 those.
d) Paula was the only one I know at the party.
e) Scholarships are available for those who need financial assistance.
形容詞子句 很少用於修飾人稱代名詞, (f)句非常正式, 不常用.
(f) It is I who am responsible.
(g) He who laughs last laughs best.


含 which 的 形容詞子句 也可修飾代名詞 that
(i) We sometimes fear that which we do not understand.
(j) The bread my mother makes is much better thatn that which you
can buy at a store.

練 習:

1. I have a question. There is something ______________.
2. He cannot trust anyone. There’s no one ________________.
3. I’m powerless to help her. There’s nothing ________________.
4. You can believe him. Everything __________________


G 形容詞子句的標點

1. 限定: 需要形容詞子句才能對所修飾的名詞加以指認或 界定時, 不用逗號.
2. 非限定: 對所修飾的名詞僅作補充說明, 用逗號
3. The man { who } I met teaches chemistry.
{ that }
{ 省略}
因為沒有逗號, 形容詞子句可用任何合式的代名詞; 受詞代名詞亦可省略.

4. Mr. Lee, whom I met yesterday, teaches chemistry.
需用逗號 時, 不能用 that( 只能用 who, whom, which, whose, where
& when ) ; 受詞代名詞不可省略.

H. 形容詞子句中表是數量詞語的使用 – 只 有whom, which & whose 可用
1. In my class there are 20 students, most of them are from Far East.
2. He gave several reasons, only a few of which were valid
3. The teachers discussed Jim, one of whose problems was poor
Study habits.


練習:

1. The city has sixteen schools. Two of them are junior colleges.


2. The village has around 200 people. The majority of them are farmers.



I. 名詞 OF WHICH 的用法

We have an antique table. The top of it has jade inlay.

→ We have an antique table, the top of which has jade inlay.
→ We have an antique table whose top has jade inlay.


練習:

1. They own an original Picasso painting. The value of the painting is over a million dollars.





2. The genetic engineers are engaged in significant experiments.
The results of the experiments will be published in the Journal of
Science.







experiment [ ]試驗

J. 用 WHICH 修是整個句子 ( 主要出現在口語, 不適於正式書面語)
Tom is late. That surprised me.

→ Tom was late, which surprised me.


練習

1. Max isn’t home yet. That worries me.


2. Jack was fired from his job. That surprised all of his co-workers.



K 形 容詞 子句 簡化為 形容詞片語

The girl who is sitting next to me is Mary.

→ The girl sitting next to me is Mary.

Anyone who wants to come with us is welcome.
→ Anyone wanting to come with us is welcome.

練習


1. I come from a city that is located in the southern part of the country.


2. The fence which surrounds our house is made of wood.


3. The rules that allow public access to wilderness areas need to be
reconsidered.